Thursday, May 6, 2010

Gluten Free Rhubarb Coffee Cake

One of the best parts of spring. We transplanted some when we moved and it's not quite ready yet but happily, someone brought about a dozen stalks to us.

I've found some jams and other uses for it but I always loved Rhubarb Cake from Best of Bridge cookbook.

I can never admit the most common way I eat rhubarb though.

I've had a few good successes with a general gluten free flour mixture so it's time to give the cake another go. It's a very forgiving recipe since I was short on eggs and forgot the vanilla and it still turned out wonderful.

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs - I only had 1 so I used it and then 1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup sour milk ( 2 tbsp vinegar, 1 cup milk)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups gluten free flour( I used 2 parts brown, 2/3 part potato starch, 1/3 part tapioca starch)
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp vanilla - oops, I forgot this
1 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped fine

Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Cream brown sugar and butter, add eggs and beat well. Add sour milk, soda,salt and flour.
Mix well and add vanilla and rhubarb.
Pour into 9x13 greased and floured pan.
Mix brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on batter.

Bake at 350F for 45 minutes.


DO NOT ADD CARAMEL SAUCE.


It makes it utterly amazing. I'm sure you don't want that. Ick....Ughh, No thank you!


Okay, I lied.


Add the caramel sauce.



Check out some other cake recipes on Gluten Free Homemaker Gluten Free Wednesday - Cake Recipes

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh, this looks so very good, Kathleen! Especially with that divine caramel sauce. ;-) I'm impressed that you grow your own rhubarb! I confess I have never tried any, but I really want to soon.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rhubarb. I don't have any of my own, but I just got a bunch from my mom. I made a cobbler last night. Coffee cake sounds like a great idea. Thanks for joining the carnival.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails